The Portumna Golf Club is located on the Gort road, just outside the town of Portumna, approximately 40 miles
from Galway City and 15 min. drive from Lawrencetown. This undulating par 71 course, adorned with mature oak and graceful
trees offers a good test of golf by any standard.
Situated close to lovely Lough Derg and the River Shannon, Portumna is a very enjoyable
course to play for all abilities. Deer regularly emerge from the surrounding forest to graze beside this beautiful parkland
course to add a delightful dimension to the game of golf.
Portumna Castle is located in one of the most tranquil, scenic settings in Co. Galway, overlooking
Lough Derg. This castle was owned by the most important landowners in Co. Galway, the Clanricarde Burkes. Richard Burke, the
Fourth Earl of Clanricarde, had the castle completed in 1617. The building features Jacobean-type gables and has many Renaissance
features. Unfortunately it was destroyed by fire in 1826, but has since been restored by the Office of Public Works.